April 22, 2009 § 2 Comments
One of my favorite blogs to visit daily is 1000 Awesome Things. I love how positive the author is because if you think about it, could you come up with something awesome to write about every day for the next 1000 days? I might be able to because I do enjoy many everyday things and simple luxuries, so here’s my test: I have to list 10 awesome things that start with the letter B.
1. Baths – I just took one! I had a stomach ache and was upset about how crappy the weather is outside, so I took a bath and I feel at least 13 times better.
2. Book stores – they instantly relax me and I could easily spend an hour looking if the store is big enough. Thanks for having a public washroom, Chapters.
3. Beds – mine anyways. When I spend a weekend in NYC in Nick’s bed, I come home and as I settle into it’s lush mattress, it hugs my entire body as if to say “hello, I’ve missed you almost as much as you’ve missed me”. Shameless plug: my bed’s for sale!
4. Blistex – yes, that medicated lip balm. I’ve been addicted to having something on my lips at all times for as long as I can remember, and yes, that’s an actual addiction, I think my doctor tried to warn me about it once, but oh! That tingling cool feeling as you apply it! Especially in the winter! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
5. Benjamin – my nephew, that’s who! He’s only 16 months old and every time I see him he gets a little bigger and a little cuter. He is thoroughly entertained by my glasses, pillows, and even yams. Hopefully my sister is working on growing a girl version of Ben as we speak!
6. Bargains – Whether you’re shopping at a garage sale, a used book store, or Ikea, you always feel like some sort of early Canadian fur trader or wily provider for your clan when you score a bookcase that leans slightly to the right for only $25 or a used copy of that novel you’ve been putting off buying for $9!
7. Blackberries – the berry AND the phone. After hating on the blackberry for so long after watching so many people abuse it and make themselves look like technology-obsessed jerkholes, my friend Joe hooked me up with a sweet deal and put an end to my $300, heart attack-inducing Rogers cellphone bills I’d get monthly. Thanks, Blackberry messenger!
8. Bums – they are fun to look at and talk about, aren’t they? Also, they provide essential padding for relaxing in a seated position. Have you ever seen that King of the Hill episode where Hank needed a prosthetic posterior? Hilarious, but also very sad.
9. Body wash – SO much better than bars of soap. Plus you get to use that squishy scrunchy net thing that no one actually knows the name for to apply it. Is there a name for that thing?
10. Built To Spill – They remind me of college and the cottage. The first time I saw them was in Portland, OR and they kind of sucked, but then I saw them TWO NIGHTS IN A ROW! in Toronto at Lee’s Palace. My friend Jeff Peers was also there and he made a point to tell me they were his favorite band of all time that night, so we rocked out sans shame. They were just that good. Doug Martsch has a sweet beard and does absolutely not look anything like you’d expect him to if you had only heard him sing and never saw him in person, but hey! I’d also put “surprises” in this list of awesome things, if only it started with the letter B. Burprises? Oh man, don’t even get me started on surprise burps. All my burps are burprises.
EDIT: Honorable mentions that slipped my mind last night:
- Bad jokes
- Bunk beds
- Boots (especially rubber)