2011: A Year In Review
December 31, 2011 § 2 Comments
Happy New Year’s Eve! As Nick and I prepare to do our traditional New Year’s watching of “When Harry Met Sally” and make/share our lists of goals for 2012, it seems like a perfect time to look back on 2011. Even though this year seemed to fly by, so much happened!
– After the holidays, returned to work at Insound to find approximately a trillion online orders for the new CAKE album that had to be processed and sent out
– Met Ezra who was hired temporarily to help get the records sent out quickly. We realized we had a lot of the same musical taste and I declared him my New York Eli.
– It snowed and snowed and snowed
– I spent most of my mornings holding on to the iron gate below so I wouldn’t slip and fall on my way to work
– Nick and I attended our first New York Knicks basketball game, which was a ton of fun.
– We celebrated our first Valentine’s Day as a married couple at – where else? – Peter Luger!
– I changed positions at Insound from White Label to Fulfillment.
– The Japan earthquake and tsunami bummed me out
– After a few weeks at my new job, I started to experience serious leg pain. Turns out, my hips and knee joints were inflamed from over use. My body was very unhappy with my new job, working in a warehouse and running around all day. I started to get hives and thought I had shingles!
– Needless to say, I gave my resignation. I need legs more than I need discounted records.
– I planned a trip home to Canada the weekend after my last day at Insound. I needed some family, friend, and Canada time, big time!
– Coincidentally while in Toronto, my old employer of 6+ years, The Agency Group, was throwing themselves a 15th anniversary party! I was invited and of course I went.
– An old coworker from The Agency Group who now manages bands got a hold of me and hired me to do design, web, and social media for one of her clients, USS!
– I also started doing a freelance wedding planning assistant job for an older couple from New York
– By April, my freelance work was really coming along and keeping me busy. I stopped applying for other jobs.
– Experienced the best “April Fool’s Joke” ever – Elvis Costello playing three of his best songs before The Strokes hit the stage at Madison Square Garden!
– Nick and I moved into a fantastic new apartment, just one block away from our old one. Check out our sweet “box blinds” above!
– I attended my first of many Creative Mornings in DUMBO
– Started doing Ashtanga yoga, instead of the usual Vinyasa, and fell in love with it. Have been practicing 2-4 times a week ever since.
– Celebrated Cinco De Mayo with Kate and some Mexican wrestlers
– Nick and I discovered comedy shows at Caroline’s in Times Square. We saw Jim Jeffries, Bill Burr, and Whitney Cummings while eating dinner, sipping beers, and laughing. What a perfect night out!
– Kate & I continue our fun by attending a Seychelle’s party. We drink free vodka, eat a free dinner, then later pay $25 for a glass of champagne, justifying we would have normally spent more than that anyway!
– My sister, Jenn, comes to visit for a weekend. I take her to Babycakes for gluten-free treats, Risotteria for gluten-free dinner, then help this hard-working mom get drunk for the first time in 7 years on red wine!
– My old roomie, Angela, comes to visit from San Francisco. We attend the opening of Jeremy Fish‘s art show, then a rooftop party in Chelsea.
– I attend Smorgasburg in Williamsburg and fall in love with all the food stands
– June’s Creative Mornings helps get me a few other jobs when I meet Mark from BCS Interactive while waiting for the lecture to start. We nerd out on fonts, design, and then he and his partner Lou hire me to do Social Media for some of their accounts.
– Julia and Jay visit, Nick and I get to feed them all our favourite things. Of course, this includes another trip to Smorgasburg.
– Nick and I spend the 4th of July weekend in Lancaster, PA with Nick’s Dad
– Went to the beach in Long Island a few times and actually got a tan
– Nick and I fly up to Toronto, just in time to experience the hottest day ever! Luckily, we later go up to my parents’ cottage and swim in the river under the shady trees for relief.
– While in Toronto, we celebrate our first wedding anniversary
– Canada’s NDP Leader Jack Layton passes away
– Courtney and Jesse move away to Atlanta
– In preparation for mine & Nick’s trip to Europe at the end of August, I read an entire guide book on Paris and create the most-organized and complete trip itinerary of my life.
– Attend limited-time dumpster pool party “The Palms” in Long Island City with Olivia.
– Nick and I travel to London, attend the Reading Festival, take the train to Paris, then back to London to fly home
– I read most of The Girl Who Played With Fire on the plane, train, and our Parisian balcony and decide there’s something to this novel series.
– Nick goes on his yearly “man beach trip” with his best friends so I decide to treat myself to a bonus Canada visit
– Get to attend Julia and Jay’s engagement party while in Toronto
– I manage to get a ticket to one of the unattainable, sold out in 31 seconds Radiohead shows in New York. Go to the show solo, but end up chatting with Rolling Stone’s David Fricke.
– We mourn the death of Steve Jobs
– I turn 30, promptly get called a cougar
– Julia and her two other bridesmaids visit, I finally have an excuse to go to Lovely Bridal shop and watch her try on dresses
– I luck out and get another trip to Toronto! My fourth of 2011. It’s a quick one though, just two days, but still enough time to see two shows, friends, and a family dinner at a steakhouse.
– While we’re in Toronto, New York gets a freak snowstorm! The snow melts in approximately one day.
– Nick and I finally try out the Grand Central Oyster Bar
– I take part in a Rainbow Parade
– We finally get to see Louis CK do standup live during the New York Comedy Festival
– We spend Thanksgiving at home, celebrating with a trip to Central Park, another Jim Jeffries comedy show, and turkey tacos for dinner
– I realize now that I work freelance from home, I have no Christmas parties to go to! Then I get invited to The Agency Group NY’s party. Phew!
– Nick and I go to Lancaster for an early Christmas to visit his Dad. We scope out the mall, find Simpsons DVDs on sale at a music store, and the biggest assortment of gummi candy ever!
– We go see the Rockefeller Center tree a mere 3 days before Christmas and it’s a mob scene!
– Fly up to Canada for Christmas with the family. Spend 4 out of 5 days living in a cabin in the woods and have 5 moose keep us from being able to get to the grocery store.
How was your 2011? What was the best part?
Feeling nostalgic? Check out:
Nice post! Looks like you had an awesome year!!!
Thanks, Kelsey! I hope you’re doing well :)