Siamese Dream Turns 20
July 28, 2013 § Leave a comment
Happy 20th birthday to one of the best albums of the 1990s, and in my opinion, of all time.
Siamese Dream trivia:
- Right before the release of the record, Smashing Pumpkins were hyped to be “the next Nirvana”.
- Today was the first song written for Siamese Dream and although it sounds upbeat, is actually about depression and self mutilation.
- The band was highly dysfunctional at the time of recording: Jimmy was battling heroin addiction, James and D’arcy had just broken up, and Billy started seeing a therapist to help his suicidal depression.
- After Jimmy disappeared for a few days on a drug bender while recording, Billy “put the hammer down” and made him play his drum parts for Cherub Rock until his hands bled.
- Billy overdubbed his own playing on top of James and D’arcy’s for much of the album.
- Billy worked overtime, practically living in the studio. He and producer Butch Vig would sometimes work on the same 45 seconds of a song for two days to get the sound Billy wanted.
- Butch Vig stated as many as 100 guitar parts would be compressed into a single song.
- The album took 4 months longer to record than it was supposed to and went $250,000 over budget.
- This is untrue.