January 3, 2013 § 1 Comment
2012 was “The Year Of Yes” for Nick and I. We wanted to make it the best possible, doing what we wanted when we wanted, within reason, of course. This attitude led to some pretty great moments and incredible experiences. I also fell even more in love with yoga, specifically Ashtanga, and turbocharged my practice into a 4-5 times a week affair which led me into new poses I never expected to be able to do. There were sad moments this year too, especially in February, but overall, 2012 was the best one I’ve had in years.
– On Friday the 13th, Nick & I went to see/experience the incredible Sleep No More.
– That same morning, I danced my heart out before 10am at Creative Mornings with Girl Walk All Day.
– Filed for an LLC and made my business official. No more freelancing for me!
– The beginning of the month, my family faced a tragedy. Jenn’s nearly full-term baby suddenly passed away a week before her due date. We’ll always remember Everett, even though we didn’t get to meet him.
– Nick and I met my parents in Jamaica for a sunny vacation.
– I flew to Canada for a week-long visit, where I stayed with Jenn and her family. This included lots of playing with their new puppy, Biscuit.
– I tried an incredibly challenging Soulcycle class – right after Jake Gyllenhaal worked out in the same room.
– Mad Men season 5 premiered and I fell in love with the show all over again.
– Flew to London for a long weekend. We got to see Nick’s client Frank Turner headline his first arena show and Abbey Road!
– I helped set a record at the World’s Largest Rainbow Parade RecordSetter Event.
– Finally bought a bike worth more than $100. What a difference!
– Spent a weekend in Ohio for Alex and Erin’s lovely barn wedding.
– Started a subscription to Lancaster Farm Fresh weekly vegetable share and farm fresh eggs. Best decision of 2012!
– Had a quick trip to Toronto to see Frank Turner and Baroness, along with some friends and family.
– Saw an amazing Radiohead show in Newark.
– My sister Jenn came for a weekend visit!
– The first Long Island beach visit of the year with Kate.
– Gave a sweaty-faced testimonial in a video for my favourite yoga studio.
– Went to the Governor’s Ball Music Festival on Randall’s Island solo, but met up with many ex- & current TAG friends and my good Torontonian bud, Travis Bradley!
– Took a weekend road trip to Baltimore with Kate and Bryan. Survived the worst thunderstorm driving conditions on the way there so that we could see fish in their aquarium, go to a baseball game, and eat at a Brazilian steak house.
– Celebrated our second wedding anniversary with Nick by getting massages. So goooood.
– Rewrote my NYC + Brooklyn City Guide, complete with different categories, to appease all the NYC visitors!
– Went to Massachusetts to visit Nick’s best friend Mike, but we also went WHALE WATCHING! I saw humpback whales for the first time and it was one of the coolest moments of my life.
– Finally upgraded from a Blackberry to an iPhone.
– Collected a ton of paperwork and “proof of relationship” to renew my green card and have the conditional status of my permanent residency removed. Filed it myself and felt very accomplished.
– Flew to Toronto for a 10-day visit that started with a Bachelorette Party Cottage Weekend for Julia! Was so incredibly happy to spend 4 days in a cottage with some of my best friends that I only get to see a few times a year.
– Julia and Jay got married! I was so happy to be able to celebrate with them and stand up for Julia as a bridesmaid. I was also pretty happy to partake in the best dance party in years at their reception.
– Finally succeeded in doing headstand in the middle of the room! I have still never fallen (knock on wood).
– Celebrated a great 31st birthday.
– Helped Nick celebrate his birthday and had our first joint birthday dinner ever with some of our best friends.
– Went to Chicago to see Smashing Pumpkins in their hometown!
– New York got hit by Hurricane Sandy. We hunkered down, but were very very lucky to not have any damage.
– My parents came to visit us for the first time since we got married!
– Went to a special Creative Mornings talk by George Lois at the Met.
– Kate and Bryan got married at city hall!!! They were engaged for over 3 years before finally tying the knot at Manhattan’s city hall and now they are pregnant!
– Saw Neil Young & Crazy Horse with Patti Smith at Brooklyn’s new venue, Barclay’s Center.
– Nick and I flew to Sweden for a long weekend to see his band Ghost. We were so happy about this opportunity, even though it was a whirlwind trip!
– After a few months of practicing, I was finally successful in doing a real Ashtanga back bend!
– Celebrated Christmas with my family in Oshawa and Fenelon Falls.
– Flew home from Canada on Boxing Day then flew to Paris less than 2 days later! Celebrated New Year’s Eve by adding a love lock to Pont de l’Archevêché. Romantic!
If you finished this post, I applaud you! How was your 2012?
September 5, 2012 § 3 Comments
This Labour Day weekend, some of my best friends and I celebrated the remaining single days of our good friend Julia with a cottage bachelorette weekend! I flew to Toronto on Friday and met up with Sarah and Karen to drive up there together.
Unfortunately, we managed to lock our car keys in the trunk and the trunk release button inside the car was broken. Luckily, this very nice Thrifty man came to help us and wait with us for an hour until they could send someone to save us. I don’t think he was too upset about hanging out with some pre-bachelorette party girls for that long.
We missed all the traffic and got to the cottage just in time for tacos and to see Julia open her obligatory embarrassing bachelorette gift from her cousin.
Slutty lingerie? Check. Gaudy “Bachelorette” wine glass? Check!
The weather was lovely all weekend. Not too hot, not too cold. We managed to get in a good amount of sunshine time on the dock and in the yard. Is Sarah naked here? Only we will ever really know.
We also got in a lot of cardio, thanks to the 800 stairs down the hill to the water!
What a pretty bride-to-be!
Canadian reading and Karen’s gimp. (Remember gimp bracelets, girls?)
There was kitchen dancing.
And Jana’s famous Magic Juice.
And best of all, lots of lady friend times in the sun.
Together, we helped Julia choose the music for her ceremony. By the way, it’s going to be AWESOME.
Dock pilates, for some reason.
The last night there, we had the best dance party in ages, all of us outfitted in vintage gowns by Sarah Curtis. Those photos won’t make the internet, so you’ll just have to use your imagination. Karen was very excited about the pile of silky gowns!
All in all, a fantastic bachelorette cottage party weekend and the perfect send off for Julia into married life. Love you, ladies!